DOWNTOWN: Occupy Atlanta's request for injunction against city denied | News
ATLANTA -- An emergency injunction request filed by Occupy Atlanta against the city of Atlanta in federal district court was denied Friday evening. The injunction sought to keep the city from kicking the group out of downtown's Woodruff Park for a second time.
Occupy Atlanta, along with Rainbow-PUSH's Joe Beasley and Georgia State Senator Vincent Fort filed a formal request for an emergency injunction against the city Friday, seeking to prevent the city from ousting Occupy Atlanta from the park. The group plans to assemble in the downtown park once again on Saturday.
RELATED: Occupy Atlanta's request for injunction against the city of Atlanta
RELATED: Judge's order denying Occupy Atlanta's injunction request
RELATED: Jackson lends support to Occupy Atlanta
PHOTOS: Occupy Atlanta
RELATED: Breaking down Occupy Atlanta's price tag
US District Judge Timothy Batten signed an order Friday evening denying the group's request, saying in part, "the court finds that the plantiffs have failed to carry their burdern of showing a substantial likelihood of prevailing on the merits of their claims."
Earlier in the day on Friday, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and a group of Occupy Atlanta protesters took over the lobby of SunTrust Plaza in downtown Atlanta for about an hour.
The group sang protest songs during the takeover Friday afternoon at the Atlanta-based bank's headquarters in downtown Atlanta. The building was shut down during the protest.
Adriane Harden of Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition says the occupiers are protesting economic conditions and foreclosure rates across the country. After the protest, Jackson said that the movement should be about banks and financial conditions and not about clashes with mayors and police.