Our network

Atlanta Mayor enacts Joint Task Force in response to possible terrorist threats | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Atlanta Mayor enacts Joint Task Force in response to possible terrorist threats
News


ATLANTA -- Mayor Kasim Reed said Sunday that various city authorities have joined the move to offer increased security after a purported terrorist threat to Atlanta made public Saturday.

The alleged threats from the terrorist organization ISIS were leaked by a Twitter account claiming affiliation with the hacker group Anonymous. The group made a public declaration of cyber war against the Islamic State after attacks on Paris on Nov. 13.

Federal and state law enforcement agencies have come out saying that while there is no credible threat at this time, agents are taking the potential threat to Atlanta - specifically Philips Arena - very seriously.

READ MORE: 
Agencies respond to possible ISIS threat to Atlanta

On Sunday, Reed released a statement announcing that he had directed his chief operating officer and Atlanta Police to open a Joint Operations Center to support enhanced security for the numerous events happening in the city including the WWE Survivor series at the arena and the Macy's Great Tree Lighting.

Security was also high for the Falcons game earlier in the day with security advising fans to leave bags and purses at home.

Reed said this comes after security at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and Atlanta Streetcar had already been increased due to the Paris attacks that left many dead including one American.

Reed said for residents and visitors to the city to report suspicious activity immediately to 911 but said that neither group should let fear guide their decisions.

"I am confident in our law enforcement agencies' ability to keep us safe," he said.

Related content:

PHOTOS | Signs of mourning, hope after Paris attacks

 

PHOTOS | Paris under siege

PHOTOS | Terror grips Paris

 


News