Atlanta Dream Player Ready For Olympic Debut | News
ATLANTA, Ga. - - Angel McCoughtry is a star in the WNBA, but in the Olympics she and many others who shine brightly as individuals must put their egos aside.
McCoughtry is the "go to" scorer for the Atlanta Dream. But Maya Moore is the star of the Minnesota Lynx, and Diana Taurasi is the center piece of the Phoenix Mercury. Yet these and other stars have had only two weeks to become a cohesive basketball team.
"I have friends in Turkey, and their team has been playing and practicing together most of the summer" McCoughtery told 11 Alive news. That's pretty typical of the European units. Most of the WNBA players go over there in the winter, then return to America and the WNBA in the spring.
McCoughtry was a prep star in Baltimore, a college standout at the University of Louisville, and an important part of a an American team that won the gold medal at the 2010 World Championships. But a gold in London, would be something special.
Upcoming Events near Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Address fraud uncovered among student athletes at Grady HS
- No one hurt in officer-involved shooting
- Grocery is the #1 holiday purchase! Research shows where consumers are spending this holiday season
- Ga. Tech to host 2016 NCAA Swimming & Diving Championship
- Stan the Lovesick Snowman at the Center for Puppetry Arts